The HCPT Cycle 2013
Are you looking for a challenge and want to help make a difference at the same time?
We are currently looking for volunteers for the HCPT Cycle to Lourdes which will take place during Holy Week 2013. Not only will it be a great physical challenge, but you will be raising valuable funds for the Trust, and making memories and friendships on the way!
Some questions you may have :
How hard is this going to be?
- A wide range of people take part in this event, from very experienced cyclists to those who have only trained for this event. Training and preparation is really key to completing the cycle. It starts just outside Paris in Chartres and finishes in Lourdes. The total distance is 510 miles, between 50 and 115 miles a day. (the route may be subject to change)
When is it happening?
- It takes place from 23rd – 30th March 2013. The cycle is over seven days starting Saturday 23rd March and finishing on Good Friday 29th March.
What will I need?
- You will need your own bike and cycle clothing, including cycle shorts, cycling jersey and cycling jacket.
What sort of bike do I need?
- This is a personal choice, but we strongly recommend a Racing or Sports type of bike. The lighter the bike the easier it is to push!
What about the cost and fundraising?
- All participants, cyclists and backup team will need to pay a fare of £550, which covers travel, food, insurance and accommodation (min. two-three star on a sharing basis). We ask everyone on the trip to commit to raising at least £2,000.
Do I have any obligations to meet before the cycle (meetings/practise)?
- There will be four practise cycles that cyclists and backup team will be expected to attend at their own expense – a diary of dates is given on the information leaflet. This is to ensure that we can give ongoing support for your training and also to provide further information about the trip.
If I am joining my HCPT group in Lourdes, will my fare for the week with the group be reduced?
- Yes, cyclists wishing to remain on will make up the balance of a 7-day Easter fare and this will cover both weeks.
What sort of support will be provided during the cycle?
- As well as organising transfers to Chartres, dinner, bed and breakfast each night, transport of the baggage, food stops on the road and medical attention for tender areas, we will also fly cyclists home to the UK.
Support and advice will be given on what type of equipment you need and also ways you can reach your fundraising target.
We look forward to hearing from you!